February 08, 2012

Quicker Takes (70% leaner by volume)

Watched three hours of C-Span's "In Depth" with the inimitable Mark Steyn while devising ways to rid myself of recurrent hiccups when the occasion presented itself. Which was curiously often.

*

My latest bookish hunger is for the "Quiet", a best-seller about introverts. The author conducted a live Facebook chat via the Columbus library Tuesday at 7, which I "attended".

*

I just hope hiccups don't keep me up tonight. It's all fun until my sleeping gets hurt, ha.

*

As usual with Superbowls, I made it through the halftime show before turning the channel. Which is inconvenient in close games - I tend to miss the half that really matters.

*

Read that W.H. Auden used to pee in the sink during parties (and maybe all the time). He said something like, "it's a male privilege to pee in the sink! Every guy does so!" Those eccentric poets. Reminds me of how Catholic blogger Eric Scheske so enjoys the male privilege of peeing outdoors.

*

One thing I love about this house is that the family room sits next to a generous full-length, southern-facing window. And thus on sunny days, I can bask in high cotton from around 1pm-4pm, with it being so bright that I can profitably wear shades. For a sun-lover like me, if we decide to move it's going to be to a house with similar features. (That last phrase reminds me of a song from the '80s: "with similar features /but longer hair" or something like that, by Melissa Etheridge. But I digress.)

*

Is it just me, or did the big "M" behind Madonna when she was starting her routine looked like a Marian symbol? Not that she would ever appropriate Christian symbols...

3 comments:

William Luse said...

1. Mark Steyn is always fun to watch (and read).
2. sounds like Madonna ruined the superbowl for you. I didn't get to watch much. In the back room grading papers.
3. It's always refreshing (word choice?) to learn about the pissing habits of other men.

TS said...

Nice quick takes on my quick takes. Also just read and enjoyed your Twitter exchange with Amy Welborn - good to see you two following each other.

William Luse said...

She deserves all solicitude. Can't imagine what she's been through.