November 04, 2010

Takes All Kinds

From Reading the OED, quoting Thomas Nashe from The Anatomie of Absurditie concerning the "eight kinds of drunks":
1. Ape-drunke - "he leapes, and sings, and hollowes, and daunceth for the heavens."

2. Lion-drunke - "he flings the pots abut the house, calls his Hostesse whore, breaks the glasse windows with his dagger, and is apt to quarrell with any man that speaks to him."

3. Swine-drunke - "heavy lumpish, and sleepie, and crises for a little more drinke."

4. Sheepe-drunke - "wise in his owne conceipt, when he cannot bring forth a right word."

5. Mawdlen-drunke - "when a fellowe will weepe for kindnes in the midst of his Ale, and kisse you, saying; By God Captaine I loue thee, goe thy waies thou dost not thinke so often of me as I do of thee, I would (if it pleased God) I could not loue thee so well as I doo, and then he puts his finger in his eie, and cries."

6. Martin-drunke - "when a man drunke and drinkes himselfe sober ere he stirre."

7. Goat-drunke - "made lascivious by alcohol"

8. Foxe-drunke - "when he is craftie drunke, as many of the Dutch may bee, and neuer bargain but when they are drunke."

3 comments:

dylan said...

I see myself in 1 and 4.

TS said...

Anybody out there want to admit to number 7?

Gregg the obscure said...

Three. I was lascivious long before I ever had the first droplet of drinke.