August 24, 2010

Le Great Twitter Controversy

I tweeted something yesterday:
TS O'Rama (@tsorama)
8/23/10 6:23 PM
RT @alaindebotton The difference between hope and despair boils down to an ability to spin different stories from the same facts.
Or rather that's what I re-tweeted last night, a quote from author Alain de Botton, and no sooner was it posted than someone called me out on it.  "You don't really believe that, do you?" said Cowpi. 
I knew the statement would be provocative and was ready for a defense. 

Weren't judas's and peter's sins roughly equal, and didn't one hope and one despair? Aren't the facts the same for all of us, that we are sinners and in light of that we either hope or despair?

1 comment:

Steven Riddle said...

Dear TSO,

And just to say--I think your reasoning has validity. As with any generalization, there are problems, but there is a way to look at the statement and see some of the truth of it.

shalom,

Steven