August 12, 2010

Devotionals

Mrs. Darwin has a beautiful post up about devotions near and dear to her. Here are my favorites:

1. Morning Prayer of the Office.

Scarcely a day goes by when I'm not lifted up, or challenged by, the Psalms and hymns and readings of the Morning Office. A line will always jump out, like yesterday's appealing note of confidence and certitude: "In the day of distress I will call / and surely you will reply, / Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord...". Sometimes I don't get around saying it until afternoon, but I figure "it's morning somewhere."

2. The Jesus Prayer.

Influenced by my Byzantine Catholic parish, which was influenced by the Orthodox, I'll repeat the prayer: "Lord Jesus Christ, son of the living God, have mercy on me a sinner." Often I'll say the Tom of Disputations version: "Lord Jesus Christ, son of Mary, have mercy on me a sinner."

3. The Divine Mercy

Mrs. D says it better than I could:
"Well, to be fair, I don't know if I can say accurately that I'm devoted to the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, since I rarely say the whole thing in its proper form, with the beginning and ending prayers attached. But I frequently find myself praying, "For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world," under my breath."
This devotional is so potent that I don't use it too often, for fear I weary of it. I like to have a arrow in my quiver. I also plan to say it on the deathbed of those I know who I fear may not be in right relationship with God.

4. The Rosary

I seem to be all over the place with the rosary. Sometimes I say it decently, some times exceedingly poorly. But I feel partial to it because of my gratitude to Mary for caring. I've been greatly influenced by her apparitions, most especially the on-going miracle that is Our Lady of Guadalupe, although admittedly I don't fast or do penance nearly enough (two of the three things she asks us to do in many apparitions). This is my oldest devotional, going back to those childhood days of the glow-in-the-dark rosary given to me by my aunt.

Tagging: Dylan, Job, Bill.

1 comment:

Bill White said...

Thanks! Mine's up at http://summa.blogspot.com/2010/08/devotions-meme.html