June 03, 2010

This & That

Ken Griffey Jr. retires with 630 real home runs, i.e. not steroid-aided.
_____
I'm liking my Chase amazon.com credit card. The rewards program consists of amazon.com gift certificates, so now I try to wait and get free books each month.
_____

It's too bad that Orchard's A Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture isn't in print. It would be nice if TAN or Roman Catholic Books was able to get the rights to it.
_____

One problem with big government is that it doesn't live close enough to the land, where those pesky details live.
_____

I think most people don't want Obama micromanaging the BP spill (see above) but do want him to apply pressure and provide resources. There's a sense that if the right brains were brought to bear this thing could've been ameliorated sooner, and a president is in a position to make those connections happen.
_____

Jonah Goldberg on the spill:
The Deepwater Horizon disaster really does demonstrate that the technology isn't fully ready for deepwater drilling. Yes, we know how to do it pretty well when everything goes right. But when things go wrong, the last couple weeks clearly show that we don't know how to get them right again. I am still very much for domestic oil exploration, in part because, if we don't drill more here, there will be more spills in the ocean (tankers are still more dangerous than rigs). But I can't argue with the folks who want a moratorium on deep drilling until we have a serious accounting of what we know how to do and what we don't.
_____

Spammer uses phrase "to the tune of," a mercenary flourish: "I decided to divide my late husband wealth to the tune of $10 million to churches in Africa, America, Asia and Europe and for humanity in general." Thank God for the last phrase. I was worried about Australia.
_____

Politically correct way to sing "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother": "Human Beings Aren't Heavy, They're My Siblings."
_____

An example of good coming out of bad: Galarraga's near perfect game and the class he showed will be remembered far longer than most perfect games.
_____

I wonder if there's an age divide as far as who is calling for Obama to show some emotional outrage over the spill. The young, who voted in droves for the the cool Obama may think that outrage from him lacks "authenticity."
_____

On Morning Joe today, one of the guests mentioned that Obama needs to be "head and heart" in his governance. The guest said it's not enough to be cerebral but you need also suffer with them in some small way, which I think is the original meaning ofthe word "compassionate." It occurs that the ultimate, fully integrated example of heart and head is God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job with this site I hope you add more sites like this