April 13, 2010

Spanning the Globe to Bring You the Constant Variety of Posts


In addition to the novena, I've spent some time each day reading from St. Faustina's Diary in which the visionary wrote about her visits from the Lord, as well as her own thoughts, reflections and experiences. In it one encounters Jesus in a unique way as He opens His merciful heart for this young saint and for us, patiently explaining the depth of His mercy and how our God expects us, as Christians, to respond. I could probably spend pages and pages writing about some of these messages from our Lord, but one in particular struck a significant chord today: “You are to show mercy to your neighbors always and everywhere. You must not shrink from this or try to absolve yourself from it" [Diary, 742]. - Deacon D. at "Being is Good"

I learned the Chaplet of Divine Mercy from the Sisters of Life back in 2004, and few days have passed since then that I haven't said it. It has been a good fit for me as a devotion: it's short, it goes by quickly, and it hammers home relentlessly the point that God's mercy trumps his righteous justice, which is, I suppose, why some Traddies shun it. After all, it's human nature to insist that those pathetic stragglers who showed up on the job at the eleventh hour not be paid a full day's wages. It's human nature to reel in horror when you see your father having a huge party for your wastrel brother who spent down his fortune on booze and whores. But if God were only a God of justice, we would fear Him, but we would not love Him. And God wants our love, and wants it freely given. And who could not love so good a God as He, who looks at us, as He revealed to Saint Faustina, through the wounds of His Son, with compassion for our fallenness, our brokenness, our sin? - Blogger at Pentimento

Part of the problem of growing up in a well-read family is that we all knew that some books were better than others...None of my reading counted. Meanwhile, in our living-room, my older sister had curled her body into a pretzel and was squinting her eyes into the minuscule print of Gone With the Wind which she finished in all of two weeks. Her concentration was unbreakable. I was invisible to her, though I crawled up behind the wing-back chair in which she sat and put my finger in her ear, or whispered words like “suburban” and “couperf” and “satchel” because I knew she hated those words. Her friends would ride their bikes over to play, find her reading, and have to be satisfied with my company. And I would be playing Barbies, no doubt, making the dolls do naughty things, and then saying, “It’s ok, they’re married,” even though in my head, they were not. - Betty Duffy

Every day, I can wake up and have the newspaper already sitting on my desk in the form of a piece of “paper” that changes on a daily basis or whenever I happen to need it for something. I carry around the better part of a library in my pocket, and when I find I’m lacking something it’s the matter of a few moments while it is beamed to me from far off locales to prevent me the inconvenience of getting up and driving to the store. In moments of curiosity, this wonderful device [the Kindle] can get me answers to most any question by accessing one of the largest knowledge bases in existence from nearly anywhere in the world at no charge with no questions asked. It’s so mundane right now, too. That’s quite possibly the most surreal point of all. We have devices like the Kindle and nook and a dozen others to choose from, the main difference between them often being aesthetics and level of convenience, and nobody even realizes what they mean! - blogger at a Kindle blog

How discuss verity with cynics, cynicism being a plant with no fruit or interesting seed? - - Marianne Moore via Dylan of "dark harp"

Most Republicans spent the first two-thirds of 2009 underestimating how big a problem pro-life resistance would be for the Democrats. If they had run ad campaigns based on the issue in the districts of pro-life Democrats, it would have made it harder for those Democrats to back the bill in the end. Those Democrats could well have been the decisive holdouts. Here, again, Republicans were on the popular side of an issue — even many supporters of legal abortion don’t want government funding — but failed to press their advantage. - Ramesh Ponnuru of "National Review"

This morning's paper mentioned in passing that today is James Joyce's birthday.. I remember was a quote from a friend of his who recalled that he, Joyce, loved to drink and loved to dance: "Ah, the drink went straight to his feet." I never read Ulysses..but did have a go at Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man... And I am grateful to it for two things. The first is one of the great hell-fire and brimstone sermons in print. Short, but a powerful piece of work and worthy of the Jesuits of the turn of the last century. The second is a permanent love for the Little Office of Our Lady. It's not dwelt on in the book but the mention of it in the "Portrait" fascinated me. I got a copy immediately. (They were still available in those days, but disappearing fast.) I have a small collection now of various versions. - John at "The Inn at the End of the World"

The word of the Lord has not come to me, as far as I know. But I don't think it requires any new divine revelation to see that an alliance with the world against the Pope will not end well for the Church. - Tom of Disputations

8 comments:

Tom said...

Re Ramesh Ponnuru: I eye darkly arguments to the effect that opposition to abortion should [be/have been] used to prevent passage of the health care bill.

I'd rather opposition to abortion [be/have been] used to prevent government funding of abortion.

The thought of using opposition to abortion as the means to some unrelated political end ought to be beaten out of every Republican. Today. Using sticks with nails in them, if necessary.

TS said...

Point taken, but I'm personally not offended by someone taking my position (i.e. no government funding of abortion) out of impure motives. Oh happy fault and all that. But I can see how playing politics with the life issue is wrong-headed.

Tom said...

We distinguish between impure motives and false motives. Government funding of abortion was irrelevant to Republican opposition to the bill. How many Republicans voted for the House bill with the Stupak Amendment?

TS said...

The bill was so bad that even w the Stupak amendment it is understandable no Repubs voted for it.

Tom said...

So what's left of Ponnuru's point?

TS said...

Can't a Republican say "both and" rather than "either/or" with respect to the health care bill? i.e. that it has multiple fatal flaws instead of just one?

Ponnuru's point was part of a larger article viewing what went wrong from the Republican point of view, and he mentioned the "tactical error" of failing to exploit the issue of federal funds for abortion (although that failure to exploit the issue speaks volumes, I guess, as to how strong (or not) Republicans are on the pro-life issue).

Suburbanbanshee said...

The point is that Republicans don't trust their own ideals to be things that the people will support; or conversely, to trust that the ideals are so important that they must be supported, whether they can get votes or not.

There's no solid ground under a lot of Republicans' feet, which is why you get all these weird unidealistic "I can change him" or "he looks so good he must be good really" or "I just want to get invited to cool parties" defections. It's pathetic and sometimes evil; and it's really politically stupid as well. That's the point.

TS said...

Well said Maureen. We can never underestimate the impact "I just want to get invited to cool parties" has in & around Georgetown.