April 09, 2010

Live from Friday, it's Columbus Night!

I've been lately interested in what we put in our bodies and how they came to be discovered and how previous generations and cultures dealt with the good and bad of things like alcohol and sugar and coffee.

Ancient history isn't a keen interest of mine, but I'd like to know who invented beer and give them a shout/props. Also like to read "Sweetness and Power: The Place of Sugar in Modern History." It examines how refined cane sugar went from no part of our diet to an almost a third within a short space of time. Finally I'd like to read about the development of coffee in A History of the World in Six Glasses.

* * *

Been reading random snippets of Joyce; the good thing about Ulysses is it doesn't have to be read in any particular order since it's equally opaque whether read forward or backward. But the sentences are a stream of precious trout. 

* * *

Growing up watching television shows like Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons led me to believe that neighbors were present only in cases of emergency, like to help rebuild your barn if it burns down. In real life I learned it was more the opposite - they are omnipresent in times of non-emergency and scarce when you could really use them. I jest! Though I am blessed/cursed with very visible neighbors. 'Tain't no Betty Duffy-type acreage at our house.

* * *

A four-day work week it 'twas but it felt longer as is paradoxically typical in the case of 4-day weeks. A single day off, as opposed to a week off, just makes me lazy. Did mow down a few sniping errands, like doing the city taxes and paying the bills and cutting the grass. Sometimes mowing down errands is literal.

So what else? Confession with the good Dominican priest. He came to the parish so inspired and fresh and full of inspiration that I try to stiff-arm cynical thoughts that he'll burn out on the parish. These folks are high maintenance what with the omnipresent Confession lines (Lord, St. Pat's must be the sinning-est church since Corinth) plus many tend to bog down in the typical traditionalist minutiae, like scruples over mantilla-wearing and the proper fulfillment of the Fatima revelations. I confessed the lameness of my motivations given that even now, this Confession, was prompted by the promises of Mercy Sunday. He called my confession a good diagnosis and said that all of our motives are mixed and even if only 5% is for God then we're on the right side.

2 comments:

Bob the Ape said...

"...all of our motives are mixed and even if only 5% is for God then we're on the right side."

That is a very cheering thing. I like cheering things. I need cheering things.

Thanks!

BettyDuffy said...

Thanks for the reminder to mow down my city taxes. I almost forgot.