March 23, 2010

Spanning the Globe to Bring You
the Constant Variety of Posts


This [health care] legislation is a superconducting super collider of culture-war conflagrations. It will throw off new and unforeseen cultural spectacles for years to come (if it is not repealed). The grinding debate over the Stupak amendment was just a foretaste. The government has surged over the breakwater and is now going to flood the nooks and crannies of American life. Americans will now fight over what tax dollars should cover and not cover. Debates over "subsidizing" this "lifestyle" or that "personal choice" will erupt. And when conservatives complain, liberals will blame them for perpetuating the culture war. - Jonah Goldberg of NRO

      
       -Jeff Miller of "Curt Jester"

I used to think there was an “on/off” switch between me and God. If I committed a serious sin, I was cut off. Going to Confession would flip the switch back on. I went back and forth between monastic periods of deprivation, and periods of semi-debauchery. If God loved me one day, he hated me the next. There was no relationship between me and God. I was just a graceless creature attempting to live by what I thought were arbitrary standards. After a short time of such extremism, I gave up, exhausted. If there had been a relationship, not only would I have shared God’s standards, but having fallen short, I might have gotten up and asked for his help and forgiveness. There’s no reason not to do so now, even with Lent nearly over—to hop up again like a dog who can’t be trained not to jump up on her Master (“Down Girl!”). But she’s up again, with muddy feet—never despairing of God’s mercy. - Betty Duffy

I keep getting it into my head, at times like this, that what I really want is a fast food burger with fries. And yet, if I get one, it never tastes like what I have in my head. Someday, I'll find the Plato's Cave Burger & Malt stop, where the ideal burger in the mind of God is found. But until then, it is wiser to stock the ice chest with decent food before leaving and only stop for coffee. - Darwin Catholic

Intelligence: seeing through the ordinary details to a deeper, more intimate, knowledge of reality. - Frederick of "Deep Furrows"

St. Faustina once had a vision in which the Lord told her she was due one day in Purgatory. She was horrified and ashamed and offered to go immediately. The Lord asked her if she'd rather live a longer life and spread His message of mercy and accept whatever earthly suffering came for the sake of souls. She accepted. It dawned on me after reading this section of her diary that if a pious little Polish farm girl who was worthy of visions still was going to Purgatory for one day then I, and the rest of us of are in a whole lot of trouble. - Dymphna's Road

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground..we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. - Thomas Jefferson

The biggest corrupting force isn't money, it's consensus--what respectable people believe. - Mickey Kaus via Terrence Berres

To this day, Country [music] is a bright ray of optimism in that soundtrack of my life--even if the light only comes from my PC monitor when I'm listening to Internet radio. Yet it's also the anti-soundtrack. I love Paisley's songs precisely because they're about the unfamiliar. - - Filipino Enbrethiliel at Shredded Cheddar

Maybe I should be embarrassed to admit how much I am enjoying Peter Kreeft’s Prayer for Beginners, which is very short and elementary, but I’ve been reading it slowly, chewing on one chapter at a time. Is my prayer life so rusty that this little book grabbed my attention? This line got me: “Reading a book about doing something can be an obstacle to doing it because it gives the impression of doing what you are only thinking about doing.” Guilty. In my head I know this, and most of what Kreeft writes is familiar, but my prayer life is easily derailed by telling myself things like “I’m doing lectio divina…” - Emily at "Back Bay View"

3 comments:

Elena said...

I had the same thought about purgatory when I read about the Fatima children. Apparently one of their little friends had died and they asked if she was in heaven and Mary told them that she would be in purgatory for a long time. I don't believe the kid was even 10 yet! So I figure I'm pretty much up the creek without a paddle!

TS said...

So I figure I'm pretty much up the creek without a paddle!

Ha, I'd trade you Purgatories in a second! :-)

dylan said...

I'm really liking the Betty Duffy quote.