October 19, 2009

Nakedness

Read a bit of Mother Angelica's book on Scripture and got to thinking: Adam hid himself, hid his nakedness, but the nakedness wasn't about sex as it was about vulnerability. If one substitutes that word we have God saying, when Adam covered his privates, "Who told you that you were vulnerable?". In other words, when we are in deep relationship with God we feel invulnerable. When we sin, we see how vulnerable we are to God's judgment. "The first sign of disobedience to God's will is fear," says Mother Angelica. I thought of how Jesus was naked on the cross, how he was made vulnerable because he'd taken on our sin. The bad fruit that we'd ingested he ingested too, like second-hand smoke.

5 comments:

Betty Duffy said...

Weird. Spent about three hours looking at a computer screen last night trying to spit out this idea. You've done so eloquently: "when we are in deep relationship with God we feel invulnerable."

TS said...

Weird indeed. We've been on the same wave-length lately, although I'm still hoping for that seratonin bump you got. :-)

Hope this won't stop you from writing something on the same topic since I love reading your thoughts and I'm sure they'll add much.

Melanie B said...

Did you see that the Anchoress reposted a piece on this topic just the other day?

Who told you that you were naked?

That wave must be catching.

TS said...

I didn't; I'll go over and check that out...

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Ah, the Anchoress! I knew I had read this before you posted it here, TS, but I couldn't remember where!

(Thanks, Melanie. =) )