September 15, 2009

Dusk Thoughts

Drank in the last dulcet rays of sun while eating on the back patio; my wife went to her evangelical small group meeting and so I had visions of an open sun roof, blue grass music, and a writing pad. Not necessarily in that order. (I ought mention that I don't usually WWD, write while driving, but occasionally sit in the car in the driveway in order to take advantage of the satellite radio.)

...

And so now I sit in the open-ish cab, the lovely and talented automatic windows - first time I've gotten that option and it is nice. I open the windows a lot more which goes to show that "if it's convenient, they will use it". Yes, unfortunately the mantra of the typical American consumer. For years I thought power windows an invention of the devil, inculcating laziness. But it's wondrous when you have a dog in the backseat who wants to hang out the window. And it's not bad for me to sidle an arm out the window and feel a carafe of sun caress it.

...

I think good writing most often comes in blog where the writer is in semi-desperate straits and is in obvious need of a beer. A lot of those uber-successful Mommy bloggers give off an air of non-quiet desperation tinged with humor, and well they might given that kids can make you crazy when they aren't charming your socks off. Mrs. Darwin & Betty Duffy display that quality sometimes and it's obviously part of the reason I like reading them.

...

My taste in classical music seems to be shifting somewhat...more towards Mozart and Hayden, away from Beethoven and later composers. Some Bach is okay. My taste in books has shifted decidedly away from novels, particularly literary novels, but then nowhere does it say I have to read Bernanos just because I'm a Catlick blogger.

Currently listening to some very pleasant music by Carl Weber, Ruler of the Spirits Overture, as the sun leaves pink and blue fragments behind as if it creating a room meant for boy or girl. There are jet trails that ski along either side of the neighbor's large sycamore. The telephone poll stands in stark relief against the sky and I imagine the attached cylinder near the top as a bell-tower, with Quasimodo hustling up and down for the Angelus. The garden lingers on, struggling but unbowed, still producing a tomato here and there despite the cool nights and shorter days. The brussel sprouts are loaded with studded tubers like poker chips along the sleeves of a rich man.

Buddy the dog got sent in the house for conduct unbecoming of a six-year old: his squirrel angst was causing him to jump like Michael Jordan into the spruces in innumerable futile attempts. Looked like he was even taking the occasional zap from the electric fence. The things we do for love, and he does for squirrels.

...

It occurred to me at Mass how important it is not to waste time worrying about my health but about the Body's health. Let me help the Body of Christ, through prayer and works. That's how to build treasure in Heaven. I like these motivational books like Purgatory and the Means to Avoid it. It says that Purgatory is not as bad as some say, title notwithstanding. But I like these objective scorecard things, like where you say a novena and get a year off Purgatory. I know that's all out of favor now and that the afterlife is outside of time but I like the idea of being able to track my progress in the next life from this one. I love & crave statistics - "you are 36.7% of the way towards Heaven". But that's all wrong, its focuses on me rather than loving Christ. St. Therese the Little Flower didn't smile at difficult sisters because she'd get $10 worth of Heavenly credit. She loved Christ. She wanted to show it, to please Him.

6 comments:

Jim Curley said...

Hate power window myself. They seem to break all the time.

TS said...

Hmm...well I guess that's not surprising since in my truck the automatic locks broke early and often. Guess I'll have to enjoy the windows while they last.

mrsdarwin said...

I think good writing most often comes in blog where the writer is in semi-desperate straits and is in obvious need of a beer.

Oh, you know that's true. Except I prefer a gin and tonic myself.

Just yesterday I was having this maddening morning -- brought upon myself because I sat at the computer first thing instead of Getting Things Done -- and chaos was rampant. Things were breaking, things were spilled, things were tantruming, and I felt much put upon and in need of lots of sympathy (for the predicament I brought upon myself). I finally got everyone to sit down so we could read the saint of the day, and whaddaya know: Our Lady of Sorrows. I felt the humiliation of the Total Perspective Vortex. But I still would have taken the G&T if someone had offered it.

TS said...

Oh yes there is so much to be said for simply getting an early start on the day isn't there?

TS said...

And for developing perspective, which can be elusive.

Betty Duffy said...

"I think good writing most often comes in blog where the writer is in semi-desperate straits and is in obvious need of a beer."

For some reason, this is also just about the only time I write--when things are semi-desperate. Fortunately, those straits are easier to sustain than any level of calm, so time and volume are on my side. But gosh, the kids, if they read any of this stuff when I'm dead, they're going to think I was a miserable person, and that's just not true.

Gin, yes. Beer, only when it's really hot out.