September 30, 2009

Dis & Dat

Thoughts not deep enough to support their own post but too long for Twitter:
____

There are times I'm greatly relieved I'm not a radio or television pundit. Say, in the aftermath of Michael Jackson's death. Or now in the wake of a quieter tempest regarding Roman Polanski. I'm especially disappointed that Morning Joe is beating that puppy since they're usually more serious. I daresay most people under the age of 40 have never heard of this "celebrity". The guy is a fugitive and he should've acted accordingly if he didn't want to get caught, i.e. stay in France where there's no extradition treaty. It's a tiny, tiny story getting ridiculous press. (Does this count?)
____

David Brooks wrote a column recently dissing social conservatives and implying we were generally clueless of the real problem, economic spendthriftedness: "This erosion has happened at a time when the country’s cultural monitors were busy with other things. They were off fighting a culture war about prayer in schools, “Piss Christ” and the theory of evolution. They were arguing about sex and the separation of church and state, oblivious to the large erosion of economic values happening under their feet."

Note he didn't mention abortion, perhaps tacitly realizing that the death of a million babies in the womb would not bolster his argument of economics uber alles.
____

Funny exchange this morning with my wife:

Her: "I love you!"
Me: "I love you more!"
Her: "'em's fighing words!"

Maybe you had to be there.
____

Heard The Catholic Guy on XM channel 117 talk about meeting with his spiritual director or therapist and how he decided against accepting an offer from a major publishing house to write a book. Impressive. Now that's countercultural. Says he's already too involved in work and wants to devote more time to God. Go on retreats. Too much living live "exteriorly" via the distraction of work in order to avoid going inside and being still. He was also using his work to try to become "more worthy" of God's love and grace but notes that's not how it works.
____

I'm tempted by the Fr. Rutler book on the St. John Vianney. In it he makes mention of the arduous path of sainthood and the modern way of dealing with this is partially simply to avoid saints. I immediately thought of how Graham Greene had an opportunity to meet Padre Pio and was too fearful to do so, knowing that he might have to change.
____

Today's "moment of Zen", to use an especially inapt metaphor, was praying the Divine Infant of Prague novena. It opened in a new way the fact of the Incarnation and how He "restored to us our dignity". In that single line there was much fruitful meditation.

5 comments:

Roz said...

In my opinion, your quick-take posts are meatier than my regular ones.

I'm tantalized by your reference to the Divine Infant novena. Is that available online?

TS said...

Thanks Roz; I don't think it's online...she got it at the Basillica of the Immaculate Conception in D.C.; I think this is it.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I didn't know that about Grahame Greene. Doesn't it call to mind St. Augustine: "Lord, make me chaste . . . but not yet!"

TS said...

Yes and in Greene's case chastity could've been the main obstruction.

MaryH said...

hahahaha love your conversation with your wife. I can imagine that!