June 16, 2009

Spanning the Globe to Bring You the Constant Variety of Posts

[Simone] Weil .. tragic, complex, cerebral, old school Euro intellectual militant and ideologically driven ideals needing to impose the world with conscience. Weil is a top down humanist.. Flannery O'Connor's a bottoms up perspective.. looking up for guidance and from grace. IMHO two very different perspectives.. but merge on perhaps a shared disregard for self. - Commenter on 'If Flannery Had a Blog"

...this is part of the problem I have with protesters of any kind. Part of me is offended that anyone thinks I will change my mind just because a few dozen, or even a few million, people are holding signs. This is true even if I agree with the position of the protesters. All the signs do is to tell me the protesters hold an opinion, like I should care; the signs are not capable of making a rational argument. - commenter Howard on Disputations

The modern professional work environment often makes it much easier to intersperse work and leisure in a nearly seamless fashion. The same technology which makes it easy for me to answer questions from fellow employees in India at 11PM also makes it easy for me to pop up a web browser when my computer is taking to long to run a complex query and read an article from First Things, or to type out a blog post in the fifteen minute chunk of time I have before going to a meeting. As well as making our work more efficient, computers also give us more chances to recreate while we're working. - Darwin Catholic

[In]The Choices We Made, women tell their stories of back-alley abortions before legalization...waxing eloquent... about the marvels of medical technology which moves abortion from a sordid, back-alley business to a efficient, sterile procedure...This "human face", this "beating heart", these "waving hands" were on the receiving end of that syringe of Lysol, or the gleaming scalpel. We must never lose sight of this fact. Clean or dirty, abortion has the same outcome: a woman is bleeding and a child is dead. - Mrs. Darwin

"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man." -JFK, Pelagian - - Kevin Jones tweet

A letter in today's Washington Post shows what we're up against. Note your reflexive reactions as you read it:
Please tell me it's not true that President Obama ordered foie gras in Paris. I voted for him because he seemed like a smart, compassionate, down-to-earth man with impressive leadership and motivational skills.

Eating a product that is produced by force-feeding birds until their livers expand to as much as 10 times their normal size is anything but kind and classy, and it sets a poor example for the American people, who are becoming increasingly concerned about animal welfare. I'm counting on the president to make America a kinder, more enlightened place, not a crueler one. This starts by supporting humane practices. -KATIE MOORE
My own reflexive reaction was along the lines of, "Please tell me it's not true that someone wrote a letter to the Post complaining about President Obama ordering foie gras in Paris." - Tom of Disputations, full post here

But no, it must be funny, because David is funny and hip. Right? Or maybe not; maybe he's actually a brackish, hermetically-souled guy who's spend the last twenty years going from table to table with a giant wooden grinder, asking anyone if they want some fresh-ground scorn with that. Say when. Or maybe he's about as edgy as a soccer ball, and exists only to remind people they were Edgy once, and hence must be ever-blessed with the gift of Wryness and Irony. With those shields we can never grow old, you know. - Lilkes on Letterman, via Terrence Berres

The problem is that people really do care about nipples. They care so much about nipples that the Huffington Post devotes pages and pages of photographs to them when women accidentally (or, you know, against their will) reveal them to the public. In that way, there's no difference between the religious conservative who is scandalized by a bare breast popping up in the middle of his football game and a liberal Web site which devotes its resources to naked chicks. A woman's body part is a priority. Real women's issues, not so much. - Amanda Hess, also via TB

Writing is the only profession where no one considers you ridiculous if you earn no money. - Jules Renard

Writing is like a disease, you either have it or you don't. - Anne Groell (editor at Bantam Dell)

I've been craving my grandma's ham loaf, with peanut butter and sliced pineapple on top for about fifteen years now. - Betty Duffy

12 comments:

Jim Curley said...

the two snippets on "Writing": I swear I wrote my email to you this morning before I read these.

Jim

TS said...

Jim, didn't get your email. Re-send?

Jim Curley said...

will do. Coming from a new email address, (gmail).

William Luse said...

...the religious conservative who is scandalized by a bare breast popping up in the middle of his football game


She doesn't know much about religious conservatives. Not this one anyway.

TS said...

Unrelated, but Bill why does your site load so slow these days? Maybe it's just my (lame) computer but it takes forever to load your page.

Darwin said...

the Huffington Post devotes pages and pages of photographs to them when women accidentally (or, you know, against their will) reveal them to the public.

I always wondered why anyone bothered to read the Huffington Post. Now I know. Never having stumbled across this feature, I hadn't seen the point -- so to speak...

TS said...

Good point Mrs. D!:-) (.)

Darwin said...

Mrs. ?!?!

Come now, you're being thrown off by my flowing locks again...

William Luse said...

I'm assuming, TS, it's because of all the media I've embedded. Dylan complains of the same thing. But I love fooling around with music and video. It's a terrible addiction. I'm in a bind. Maybe I should open another blog and move that stuff over.

TS said...

Ooops, one for the blooper reel... Of course, you do often log under each others IDs so...

Darwin said...

Ah... Overwhelmed and I had to go take a look for this feature on Huffington Post. Somehow I'd pictured a feature which had pictures of random women on the street who accidentally revealed themselves for a moment (and wondered how this was achieved without getting the photographer routinely clobbered.) Imagine my disappointment to find that it's merely celebrities in revealing dresses that prove a trifle too revealing. This is news?

Sigh...

TS said...

I went out there yesterday to check it out and was similarly disappointed. Lindsay Lohan topless pic - what a yawn.