May 11, 2009

MacArthur's Park Explained!

It was the best of songs, it was the worst of songs. It was a song of striving, a song suggesting a pure, unadulterated uphill battle. In this it is not unlike so many of the '60s songs, all minor keys in the age of Pyrrhic victories and Quixotian dreams:
Spring was never waiting for us, girl
It ran one step ahead
As we followed in the dance
Love is in control, or at least is always one step ahead.
Between the parted pages and were pressed,
In love's hot, fevered iron
Like a striped pair of pants
The Word was made flesh and was pressed into the confines of skin and word, such that it became as seeming ordinary as a pair of pants.
MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down...
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh, no!
A depiction of Original Sin. The Garden of Eden has been ruined, seemingly without remedy. Adam and Eve left the cake out in the rain and it feels irredeemable to them ("I'll never have that recipe again.")
I recall the yellow cotton dress
Foaming like a wave
On the ground around your knees
The birds, like tender babies in your hands
And the old men playing checkers by the trees
Adam recalls the idyllicisms of the Garden before the Fall. Man's reason is still intact, shown by the old men playing checkers.
There will be another song for me
For I will sing it
There will be another dream for me
Someone will bring it
The first intuitions that there will be a savior, a redeemer, that "someone" from outside the system being Christ.
I will drink the wine while it is warm
Foreshadowing of the Cup.
And never let you catch me looking at the sun
And after all the loves of my life
After all the loves of my life
You'll still be the one.
The sun here refers to the things of this world. This stanza is about fidelity and faithfulness of Christ to the Father.
I will take my life into my hands and I will use it
I will win the worship in their eyes and I will lose it

I will have the things that I desire
And my passion flow like rivers through the sky.
Could refer to Christ; the things He desires is our love.
And after all the loves of my life
After all the loves of my life
I'll be thinking of you
And wondering why.
The "why" referring to our sin and ingratitude?

1 comment:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

TS, I happened to have this award lying around my place and decided to foist it off on you:

http://enbrethiliel.blogspot.com/2009/05/jmj-awards-season-sharing-love-speaking.html