February 17, 2009

Thought

One of the difficulties I had in the past was wondering why God would not appear to each of us individually once to say, basically, "hey, I exist." After all He's all-powerful. But it occurred to me recently how even a personal appearance, as life-changing as it might be, could eventually be seen as inadequate. If everyone got one visit from God then we'd complain: "why don't You appear every moment to me?" Which is really calling on Him to remove his gift of freedom, which would be to remove our dignity, which make us no longer made in the image and likeness of God.

4 comments:

william luse said...

I don't want Him to appear to me. When I cross the bar, I'll need some excuses at hand, e.g., "Hey, it's tough down there, and you never showed up even once to help me out." I don't think He'll buy it though.

TS said...

Ha, right there with you on that one Bill.

Chris said...

St. Teresa of Calcutta received her vocation directly from Jesus Christ Himself and then spent the next 40 years doubting His very existence. I'm sure some people would be helped if God dropped by their house for tea and chat, but be careful what you ask for! To whom much is given

TS said...

Excellent point Chris! I'm quite over that mentality of daily visitation as proof.