February 23, 2009

Links

Two from Karen Edmisten:

A Meaningful Lent: What to Give Up

A Meaningful Lent Part II: Why Give Up Anything at All?
_______
A posse from Alan Jacobs:

Interesting posts on Kindle and the future of reading.
_______

Dreamy prose that Mrs D might like too:

The day started with a cruise ship anchored offshore, a hulk out of place against a blue cloudless sky and blue-green water. We had been warned: The ship’s arrival signals the invasion of Loreto by loud, drunken Americans with too much money. We kept our distance and they were gone by early evening.

I’d be happy never to visit Mexico again but don’t regret having seen it once, and already feel the melancholy of vacation’s end. When young we’re eager for novelty and change; older, we prize the familiar. Each course, pursued exclusively, turns into a cul-de-sac. Living for a week in a house on the beach, I appreciate the dual nature of the sea, its constancy and mutability. Like Sophocles, Matthew Arnold and a million others, Edgar Bowers looks at the sea and sees human destiny. Here is “An Afternoon at the Beach”:
“I’ll go among the dead to see my friend.
The place I leave is beautiful: the sea
Repeats the winds’ far swell in its long sound,
And, there beside it, houses solemnly
Shine with the modest courage of the land,
While swimmers try the verge of what they see.

“I cannot go, although I should pretend
Some final self whose phantom eye could see
Him who because he is not cannot change.
And yet the thought of going makes the sea,
The land, the swimmers, and myself seem strange,
Almost as strange as they will someday be.”

2 comments:

mrsdarwin said...

Ah, vicarious vacation... I just made a brief sojourn myself, to the auld stomping grounds of Ohio (a weekend trip too packed for visiting bloggers, alas!). The great novelty was walking in the snow -- a form of locomotion I haven't experienced these good nine years.

TS said...

One that grows old quickly! :-)